In 1670, the Court of Aldermen of the City of London commissioned twenty-two paintings to hang in their newly restored Guildhall. These were portraits of the Fire Judges; men who had been appointed to assess compensation claims after the Great Fire of London in 1666. The Corporation of London's art collection grew from this initial commission and now numbers approximately 4,500 works of art in the Guildhall Art Gallery. The gallery was damaged during the Blitz and during an archaeological dig taking place in preparation for the new Guildhall Art Gallery building project, it was found that the capital's only Roman amphitheatre was located in Guildhall Yard. In 2002, the doors to the amphitheatre opened for the first time in nearly 2,000 years.